Friday 28 May 2010

Mutoscope and models

I've been model-making for a short animation animation to be made into a mutocope. I experimented with making heads with posable features before hitting on the idea of using projection. In this way, I could film all the movement and expressions beforehand using a real actor, and then project the images frame-by-frame while filming the stop-motion. I'm sure it must have been done before, but it was a huge learning curve for me and looks much more sophisticated than the other techniques I had tried. It reminds me of pixellation animation such as Angry Kid and Tom Thumb.




Face-paint to help define features more strongly.




Contact sheet on the OHP.










The head is made from clay and has a nose, ears and depressions around the eye areas, but otherwise it is blank.

No comments:

Post a Comment